Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Blockbuster is Still in Business?

As a Guitar Hero enthusiast, I have been coveting the opportunity to play Guitar Hero Aerosmith.  On my way back from the gym yesterday, I turned my sweaty head to check traffic and happened to catch a Blockbuster Video location out of the corner of my eye.   Although the $8.54 I spent to rent the game for 6 days seemed high, it was a great alternative to paying $50 plus tax, especially considering the way I shredded through the game, quickly beating 30 out of 31 songs on Expert.  "Train Kept A Rollin'" is insanely difficult, and I have only made it 52% of the way through it.  My gut tells me I will have it beat before I turn the game in.

How is Blockbuster still in business?  With so many more convenient alternatives, I wonder how they are doing it.  I was the only person in that store besides the cashier, and most of their Wii games appeared to be collecting dust.  Netflix is so convenient.  Go to any gas station, grocery store or (soon) any fast food restaurant in Columbus, and you can rent a movie out of a machine for a buck a day.  Blockbuster tried to sell me some monthly plan for $22, and I pretty much laughed.  I know what real estate leases cost around that area, and I wonder how much longer they can stay open with their business model.

Speaking of real estate, I noticed something on Craigslist yesterday called "Housing Swap".  I think this is a great idea, and I wish it were more popular.  Take this ad for instance.  A family from New York needing to stay in Columbus for the weekend and offering up their place in Manhattan.  Brilliant.  More stuff like this needs to happen.

Monday night stiff:
Quoted time: 45 minutes
Actual time: 23 minutes
Total: $17.00 (3 Mias on CC)
Interaction went as follows:
Me - (reads order back), Sign and total, please.
IC - (signs slip w/o totaling)
Me - Can you put a total on there please?
IC - Oh, I'm sorry, dawg.  (writes in $17.00 and 0 on tip line)
Me - Is there anything I can do to serve you better?
IC - Oh naw, man.  Y'all are doin' great.
Me - (about to say something else as IC slams door, writes http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com on back of receipt and leaves on porch)

Sometimes you just get stiffed, even when you make 2 aggressive attempts not to.  Fortunately I work at a place where I will not get in trouble for leaving TTPG materials at stiffer's houses.

No comments: